So we’ve decided to tie the knot a la 60’s shot-gun style – minus the actual ‘shot-gun’ because everyone saw it coming and we’ve been together for 5 years now. It was probably not every girls idea of a romantic engagement but I have never been a very romantic person so this was ideal for me. My family had decided that, instead of celebrating everyone’s birthdays – we go away as a family one weekend every year. We all pay our own expenses and there are no gifts or cards. The perfect group birthday celebration.
A few weeks before we plan to go, I emailed my boyfriend at work and said ‘hey, since we’re going to be in Niagara on the Lake anyway, do you want to just get married?” He replied “Sure! Great idea”. So now we are getting married next weekend. Just parents and siblings – no fuss, no stress and no Showers! Everyone can just relax – including us. Imagine a bride relaxing at her own wedding? That’s how I always thought it should be.
As the wedding gets closer I realize that I have the right idea – and everyone else has it wrong. Here are the top reasons to get married when you’re pregnant:
1. You don’t have to lose weight before the wedding – in fact, you’re not supposed to.
2. You can cry and be emotional all you want – everyone will chalk it up to hormones
3. If you forget your vows, say something stupid or have a you-tubeable wipe out – you can always blame baby brain and pregnancy loss of balance
4. The dress is an all-you-can eat affair. Empire waist and a big belly. You can actually enjoy the food at your wedding – and everyone else’s if they don’t finish
5. You don’t really have to hit the gym every day to tone up. It’s pretty much impossible at this point anyway
6. You can kick everyone out at 10 and go to bed. You are, after all, tired and pregnant
7. You’re eating for two so you can technically have 2 place settings
8. It’s acceptable to have a small wedding at this point. So you get to avoid most of the politics.
9. You can wear whatever colour dress you want – you weren’t kidding anyone with the white anyway.
10. Sorry honey but it’s been such a long and emotional day. Can we consumate the marriage later?
11. There’s no more pressure. You’re getting married AND having a baby. What else can they expect from you?